All too often leaders will focus more on those they are leading than themselves. Now, I am not talking about being selfish and buying yourself a new car to “reward” yourself for all the work you have been doing – I am talking about focusing on what makes you better. Personal growth is the great factor in performance, and performance is simply the difference between what we know to do and what we actually do.
First area that we can fix -
- Managing Your Time – DEFINE: Manage: to be in charge of, control, be at the helm
- The fact is that WE CONTROL how we spend our time – no one else!
- Here is what God is encouraging me in!!! TV wasting fool (I need to turn the TV off more, and seek HIM and growth instead) Truthfully what is TV adding to my life that is producing life or creating room for the dreams that God has placed in me. Now I can hear in my own mind, what about relaxing or disconnecting to refresh my batteries…. to ME I say – what better way to refresh than to be in God’s presence? If I truly believe that God is more than enough, and that He can restore my strength… then why not spend MORE time with Him?
- You are not going to find one treasure chest that gives you 3 free hours a day (going to take making better choices in many areas) so start looking for a few small ways to trim back. Look at your work week and see what areas you are wasting time in? What are some meetings that are not producing enough results that are better spent in personal growth, or team development?
- Only two ways to spend time better - to get time that is NOT in your week
- Do less – Maybe you need to stop doing some things? Maybe you need to let go of a few things and let OTHERS do them. Especially the ones that are getting paid to do it
- Or do things faster – I learned from my spiritual mentor years ago that we need to allow the Holy Spirit to guide EVERYTHING about our day. Sometimes the Holy Spirit is telling us to wait on something til later, or to reschedule something. Take the time to listen to the Holy Spirit.
- Touch paper (or emails) only once – don’t let it stay on your desk to deal with later. Don’t let an email stay in your inbox – handle the matter quickly and done.
- Set aside uninterrupted planning time a day – this is not when you have people coming in and out of your office. This is also not just a “todo” list mentality. This is a set aside time to be before God and asking Him – what do you want me to do today and how do you want me to do it?
- Based on Priority – know them! Write them down!
- Time with God is NUMBER 1 – IF anything in your week should be scheduled (God Time) – Proverbs 9:10 – Fear of the Lord is the foundation of wisdom, and knowledge of HIM is understanding.
RIGHT NOW – evaluate yourself in and your time management (Scale 1-10)
- When you put your own life in order, it becomes a tool for you to help others get theirs in order